Tuesday, February 28, 2012

THE LATEST

The Foodies Club we started is taking off. We now have about 40 members which is a good place to stop to my way of thinking. We have had a potluck at one of the members homes (not my favorite thing but it came off well) and will have a wine and cheese tasting led by a representative of the local BevMo at our next meeting. Several members have gotten together to visit restaurants. The different cities around here have different ‘restaurant weeks’ where they have fixed price lunches and dinners at $20 for lunch and $40 for dinner.
Zoe’s family is coming down soon for her 80th (can you believe it?) birthday. While Susan is here, we’ll have her dig up the extra lemon tree (which already has lots of blossoms on it for fruit) and plant a lime tree instead. We are giving the baby lemon tree to one of our Foodie members. I did make a lemon pie with the first fruits of our original tree.
Concert season has started and we heard a wonderful concert at the Segerstrom Hall in Irvine. The soloist played one of our favorite pieces, the Bruch violin concerto. It was so comfortable to just relax and let the bus takes there. We even get there early enough to hear the pre-concert lecture.
It was my birthday on Sunday and we had made reservations at a fine restaurant at the St. Regis hotel at Dana Point. I forgot that it was the same night as the Academy Awards. Then the manager called me and explained that there would be no one in the restaurant because of the Oscars. He invited us to be their guest instead at their Oscars party, food and drink at no cost. Boy that was a hard decision. We had a fantastic time and they treated us like royalty. They even had everyone sing “Happy Birthday” to me and presented me with a molten chocolate mini-cake and vanilla ice cream A small candle was in the ice cream and everyone counted for me to blow it out. I felt like one of the stars at the Oscars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home