Saturday, June 09, 2012

WHAT'S NEW

My right leg continued to be weak and my left hip began hurting also so I went for an xray. When they had me put my left leg up on a stool, my right leg gave out. I was still holding on to the xray machine but my left leg folded under me severely straining the muscles in that leg. They helped me to the car but of course when we got home, I couldn’t get out. The firemen helped me into the house and to bed. The next morning I couldn’t get out of the bed and the xray people told me to go to the hospital because they thought I might have a fractured pelvis. I was in the hospital for four days (no fractured pelvis thankfully) and then transferred to a rehab care center. Another 24 days there but I am home now. Zoe has arranged the house into a mini-rehab center. I have the wheelchair, walker, grab bars everywhere, bed grab bar, three-in-one commode for the toilet, foot bicycle exerciser, bath bench and a slider board for getting from one seat to another. It was all pretty overwhelming especially for Zoe who had to help lift me up to get in chairs. It was too much. Russell came down and was a lifesaver. He helped us organize the home health care people who will send a therapist, social worker and care aide. He took me to the orthopedic doctor who did a very thorough exam and recommend a further exam by a neurologist. He took Zoe to the health food store and got sandwiches and frozen meals to last us several days. He built a platform to raise my favorite chair so that I can stand up for the walker easily and Zoe no longer has to do any lifting. He had to go back home but Susan came down and helped us even more. She even covered the platform that Russell made to match the recliner. I feel stronger and am able to walk to the toilet or bed with the walker. I know progress will be slow but I am encouraged. When Russell came down, he brought our “Eclipse” triptych which we finally have room for. I have missed it. Susan has enjoyed her walks about the village and taking photos. She caught a momma duck and her eight babies on camera down at the stream. I’ll be glad when I can take walks again also.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home